The Impact of COVID-19
Since the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic began to be felt throughout UK society in March 2020, every organisation, in every sector, has had a huge job on their hands to react to the crisis and re-plan their entire way of working and meeting the needs of their customers.
First Intuition is no exception, and our business has been just as significantly affected. In the past six weeks alone, we have:
- Redeployed all of our staff to home working.
- Transferred all of our professional qualification courses to online delivery, using Online Live technology, and issuing revised instructions to students still meeting client scheduling needs.
- Adapted programmes such as our Impact Skills Programme modules, which are now being delivered virtually to apprentices to allow continued development of skills and behaviours.
- Designed and created new programmes to support continued learning where study plans have been disrupted, such as putting on summer schools and bridging programmes (12 week programmes to link through to revision courses in September).
- Worked with employers to review study pathways to bring forward learning where possible and reschedule planned learning for trainees who are now expected to be required by the business later in 2020.
- Rescheduled all courses and teaching resources where needed to align with new or postponed exam sittings.
- Worked flexibly with apprentices to help them adapt to the changed environment and identify ways they can evidence and develop skills and behaviours.
- Worked hard to keep employers and students up to date via live events – unscripted, transparent and supported by Institute representatives to keep everyone as up to date as possible with the changing landscape we are facing.
Firstly, we want to thank our students and employers for being so flexible and supportive during what has been an incredibly challenging time for all concerned.
“First online session I have attended and found it excellent. Highly recommend!!”
Phillip Toye, CIMA operations Case Study Online Live Weekend
It’s easy to get caught up in the flurry of crisis management, and our immediate task lists in managing the effects of all of the above have certainly not calmed down just yet. But once all the re-planning is done – what next?
“The regular webinars organised by First Intuition are a fantastic opportunity for their clients to hear the latest updates from the Professional Bodies and ask questions directly. It’s also a great platform for the Professional bodies to share their communications and hear directly from employers what their concerns are. Excellent collaboration!”
Fiona Hodgkin, ICAEW
FI Insight Report: Impact of COVID-19
What’s really important right now, as the dust is settling from the introduction of lockdown, is to begin looking ahead to the medium- and long-term decisions which need to be made. Many of our own resourcing and planning decisions at FI rely on what our employers are doing.
This led us to produce our insight report, which focuses on the key areas that employers should be considering in managing and mitigating the effects of COVID-19 on their recruitment and training plans over the coming 12-18 months.
One of the key themes of the report is agility and flexibility. How agile are organisations in responding to the crisis? And how flexible are the training providers and awarding bodies supporting employers in this process?
Our report simply offers our view based on our experience of working within the accountancy training sector, which we also accept may now be outdated given the current pace of change.
“I could see how hard you were all working getting everything changed to a new way of working, so I just wanted to say thank you for everything – it’s really appreciated.”
Alexandra Womphrey, Fitzgerald & Law
What’s been really encouraging to see, however, is the continued and genuine interest from employers of all sizes and sectors in supporting the ongoing and future development needs of their employees.
FI Employer Survey: Impact of COVID-19
To understand what is really happening, we sought feedback from employers about the actions being taken and the decisions being made. Lots of activity is being undertaken with fortitude within all employers, but what everyone really wants to know is – am I doing the right things? And what is everyone else doing?
The results of our survey are available in our Impact Report which can be downloaded below.
“…the communication we have had from all the team at Leeds FI has been, as always, spot on. The team have been very responsive and the information we’ve had in terms of courses, exams and apprenticeships as a whole has been excellent. Not really noticed a difference which I think says it all!”
FI Leeds client
Hazel Rogers is Head of Commercial at FI, overseeing the client service team ensuring every client is supported at every stage of their programme. Find out more about how we support employers.