Do I have what it takes to become an Accountant?
Deciding on a career path can be difficult. How do you know if you’d be good at a role or enjoy it if you haven’t experienced it? Nothing can replace the valuable insight you can gain through work experience or at an event like our Accountancy Summer School. However, you can shorten your list of potential career choices by finding out if the way you think and the things you like doing are a good fit for a particular industry.
Is accountancy for me?
Accountancy is an industry that has changed a great deal in recent years. The advent of technology means that a broader range of skills are now important. Being numerical and not afraid of figures is helpful. However, students who take subjects requiring research and analysis can also become excellent modern-day accountants.
There are many skills that today’s accountancy professionals draw on and these include:
- Teamwork & collaboration
- Attention to detail
- Planning and prioritisation
With any job, enjoying what you do is important. The way in which you approach certain tasks and the ones you are naturally drawn to could help you decide if accountancy is a good route for you.
Take our quizzes and see if you could become an accountant.
In this quiz, you can check to see if the work of an accountant is in line with your strengths and the activities you find engaging:
Our second quiz will help you to understand if you can think like an accountant.
Next Steps to become an accountant.
You should now have a better understanding of whether a career in accountancy might suit you. If you’ve discovered that becoming an accountant is a potential career path for you, let’s look at what you could do next.
- Read up on the types of careers you can pursue in this industry. Accountancy is a broad discipline covering practice firms, almost all companies in industry, and the public sector. You can find out more in this article. You can also find out how to get started in our Student Guide.
- Look into work experience at a local firm. You can find these by searching for accountancy practice firms in your area or local companies that may have a finance department. Think about how you’ll go about getting a role, there is lots of useful information in our employability pack.
- Join our Accountancy Summer School, at our Chelmsford Centre.
- Take a look at the qualifications you could work towards by visiting the websites of the awarding bodies. AAT, ACCA, ICAEW.
- Get in touch with us to ask any questions and find out more email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call and talk to one of our team on 01245 209900.
You can also complete the form below and one of our team will be in touch to discuss the best options for you.