Our Summer School is held in our Chelmsford centre over 2 days. This year it was held on the 12th and 13th of July. We had a total of 68 students attend, our greatest attendance to date! Both days included practical and written tasks.
- Accountancy Introduction – Our amazing tutors Ian and Becky worked with the students help them construct a clear understanding of what accountancy entails.
- Icebreaker – Everyone split into groups, creating the best tower they could from spaghetti and marshmallows working on their team building skills.
- Routes into Accountancy
- What does an Accountant do – Teams worked on creating presentations to feedback to the rest of the room.
- CV Surgery – Olly Smith from Success Recruit presented all things CV related to the students. This included what to write to formatting techniques.
- Applying for Apprenticeships Tips – David Malthouse explained about what apprenticeships are, the benefits and how to apply for them.
- Mock Interviews and Skills– Members of the FI Chelmsford team interviewed each attendee, going through their CV, helping with what could be improved and asking competency-based questions.
- Employer Q&A Forum – We invited local employers in to take part in a panel so that the students could ask industry related questions, getting a better understanding of the roles you can get into.
What did our attendees say about this year’s event?
We are always delighted to receive feedback from the students about their experience of attending for Summer School. Here is some feedback that we received from the sessions:
Summer School has encouraged me to do accountancy, as a result I now like the idea of partaking in university at the same time as a job (apprenticeship) which I didn’t know I could do.’
‘Summer School has definitely encouraged me to apply to accountancy apprenticeships and has confirmed that it is something I am interested in for my career.’
‘This has made me more confident that I want a career in accounting.’
‘It has opened my eyes to different careers in the financial sector.’
‘It has given me much more useful information to help me consider my options going forward. I know a lot more about apprenticeships and how it would feel to study on a course like this.’
Join us next year
We are delighted that our Accountancy Summer School will be taking place in 2024. If you would like to register your interest, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Articles on careers in accountancy
Careers in accountancy and finance – Videos with topics like the sessions we run for our Accountancy Summer School.
Accountancy Careers. Where do I start – An in-depth look at the types of roles and paths into accountancy.
Life after school or university – Where could your accountancy qualification lead?
Looking for your first job in accountancy – A look at where to get help finding your first job and the resources available.
For more information about accountancy careers and qualifications please see the websites of the awarding bodies: